Things to Do in Ashburton
Take some time to enjoy the many local attractions and activities in Ashburton during your stay at Hotel Ashburton.
For those who love outdoor activities, Ashburton is an hour’s drive from Mt Hutt ski field, acclaimed as the best in New Zealand. There are five golf courses in the surrounding district, as well as top class sporting facilities. Mt Somers walkway takes you up into the unique South Island high country, with stunning views of the plains.
Mountain hiking, fishing for trout and salmon in rivers and lakes, they’re all here in Canterbury. You can visit the world-renowned Ashford Craft Village a short walk from your Ashburton accommodation, or stroll into town and admire the beautiful gardens in the Ashburton Domain while the children ride the flying fox or play in the playground.
- Lake Hood and the Ashburton Aquatic Park. An excellent family and sporting venue with competitive rowing, waterskiing and kayaking
- Visit the new Aeroview Venue part of the Vintage Aircraft Museum
- Plains Village Railway in the Tinwald Domain. This village is the home of a railway track boasting vintage steam and diesel locomotives, tractors and other heritage machinery, a fire station, church and replica shops
- Ashford Craft Village is based around the internationally famous local spinning wheel factory. The village hosts a clutch of interesting art and craft venues, a garden shop, photographer and hairdresser
- Trotts Garden – just three kilometres from Hotel Ashburton, this must-see garden has just gained Heritage status
- Aoraki Balloon Safaris – float out above the Canterbury Plains in a hot air balloon
- Mt Somers Walkway and Track offers either day hiking or a more challenging circuit for experienced trampers. The route is administered by the Department of Conservation, and two basic hikers’ huts are provided on the track (hut tickets required)
- Racing in Ashburton: with the fastest harness racing track in the country, the Ashburton Trotting Club holds regular meetings throughout the racing season. The racetrack is just across the road from Hotel Ashburton
Our helpful staff are available to help you plan activities and day trips around the district, please contact us for more information.